How to Cook Steamed Tofu - A Recipe For Steamed Tofu With Fish
This recipe for steamed tofu with fish comes from Chef Theresa Lin, best known as being the food designer on the hit film "Eat Drink Man Woman". She notes that "Fish symbolizes abundance and is served at the end of the New Year's Eve meal to bring diners good fortune."
(14oz) pkg House Premium or Organic Tofu, Soft
1/2 lb salmon fillet
1 large carrot cooked
1 medium fresh bamboo shoot cooked
5 dried shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt
1 green onion julienned
2 slices ginger root
1 red chili pepper julienned
Soy sauce mixture (mix together in a bowl):
1/4 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp sugar
Directions: 1. Cut Tofu into 10 rectangles and cut salmon into same size pieces.
2. Cut carrot & bamboo shoot into the same sizes of Tofu pieces. Cut mushrooms in half.
3. Arrange one piece Tofu on a plate. Place one piece of salmon on Tofu. Top with one slice of bamboo shoot, one piece of mushroom, and one slice of carrot. Repeat this order to arrange all ingredients on the plate.
4. Pour the chicken stock (seasoned with 1/2 tsp salt) on Tofu and steam over high heat in steamer for 10 minutes.
5. Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a wok, add green onion, ginger, red chili and soy sauce mixture. Bring to a boil and immediately turn off heat.
6. Pour mixture over Tofu and serve hot.
Steamed Fish With Tofu recipe by Chef Theresa Lin. Printed with permission of Nicole Kruse, Dentsu Communications